It was a privilege to meet Alexandre Lourenço, President of the Portuguese Association of Hospital Managers, at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss his expert opinion on how we can introduce novel therapies into use in a sustainable way.
1. To what extent is access to innovative cancer treatments limited in Portugal and is there a similar issue in other European nations? (0:08)
2. Is restricted access to some cancer treatments resulting in poor patient outcomes, increased morbidity and earlier deaths? (0:44)
3. Treatments such as chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cells are highly effective in the treatment of some cancers. Could access to this and other novel treatments be increased through increased funding and/or improved technologies? (1:19)
4. Can you describe the key aims of the Primary Care P4P initiative in Portugal and how it could improve primary care in cancer? (1:50)
5. The Association of European Cancer Leagues (ECL) Access to Medicines Taskforce and other organisations aim to improve the availability of new cancer treatments. What progress have these organisations made towards this goal and what remains to be done? (3:00)
Alexandre Lourenço has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European CanCer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Luzia Travado, European Cancer Summit 2021: Quality of Life and Emotional Challenges for Cancer Patients and the Role of a Psycho-oncologist
We were delighted to catch up with Dr Luzia Travado (Champalimaud Foundation, Lisbon, Portugal) to discuss the the emotional challenges for patients following a cancer diagnosis, and the role of a psycho-oncologist. Question Could you give us an overview of the emotional challenges for patients following a cancer diagnosis, and the role of a psycho-oncologist? […]
Luzia Travado, European Cancer Summit 2021: How Can Oncology Healthcare Professionals Best Address the Psycho-oncological Care Needs for Cancer Patients?
We were delighted to catch up with Dr Luzia Travado (Champalimaud Foundation, Lisbon, Portugal) to discuss how healthcare professionals can best address the psycho-oncological care needs for cancer patients. Question How can healthcare professionals can best address the psycho-oncological care needs for cancer patients? Speaker Disclosure: Luzia Travado has no financial or non-financial conflicts of […]
PART THREE: Domenico D’Ugo, European Cancer Summit 2021: Harnessing the Power of Data in Cancer Care: Data Sharing and Artificial Intelligence
PART THREE: We were delighted to catch up with Prof Domenico D’Ugo, President of the European Society of Surgical Oncology, to discuss how data sharing and artificial intelligence has facilitated innovations in cancer care. Question How has the use of artificial intelligence facilitated innovations in cancer care? (01:13-04:50) Speaker Disclosure: Domenico D’Ugo has no financial […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!