An Introduction to COVID-19
On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic. The impact on the medical community has been huge, not only on the front line of medical care but also for those navigating patient treatment during this unprecedented situation.
The touchONCOLOGY expert faculty have been sharing their experiences and advice during this challenging time through video interviews and short articles.
Protecting your patients and yourself during COVID-19: A practical guide for cancer nurses
Watch a panel of eminent cancer nursing experts from Europe discuss how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted cancer care working practices, the need to maintain a healthy workforce, as well as practical measures to support cancer care nurses during the pandemic.
- Outline how working practices have changed, and current challenges in delivering effective infection and control measures during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Discuss how changing working practices during the COVID-19 pandemic have impacted the psychosocial and mental health of nurses
- Describe how cancer care working practices may be tailored to ensure resilience, and prevent burnout and compassion fatigue of nurses for the safe delivery of cancer care during the COVID-19 pandemic
Supportive Care in Cancer During COVID-19
On June 25, 2020, a panel of MASCC experts led a virtual discussion on how the COVID-19 pandemic impacts cancer patients and how healthcare professionals can support them during the pandemic. Topics included the next steps after the crisis is resolved; precautions to take in the months ahead with a potential second wave; and the impact on […]
Thromboprophylaxis – A Neglected Front in Hospitalised Patients with COVID-19 in Pakistan
European Oncology & Haematology. 2020;16(1):14-5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.17925/EOH.2020.16.1.14
As of June 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic has swept across 188 countries infecting more than 10 million people worldwide.1 Despite its proximity to China, Pakistan’s death toll from the virus, as of the end of June 2020, has fortunately remained under 5,000;1 however, the reported number of cases continues to increase and the death toll is […]
Managing the needs of cancer patients during COVID-19: A practical guide for cancer nurses
Watch a panel of eminent cancer nursing experts discuss the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on cancer care delivery in Europe, including how patients and their families are themselves affected, and may be best supported during this time.
- Recognise the impact of COVID-19 on cancer care provision and which cancer patients are most at risk
- Outline the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the psychosocial and mental health of patients with cancer and their families and identify opportunities to review patients’ psychological and mental health during their cancer care delivery
- Describe practical support measures that cancer care nurses can use to help patients with cancer and their families overcome practical, psychosocial and mental health difficulties during the COVID-19 outbreak
George Goshua, EHA 2020: Endotheliopathy is Essential in COVID-19 Associated Coagulopathy
Dr George Goshua (Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA) shares with us his insights into the role of endotheliopathy in the development of coagulopathy in patients with COVID-19. Questions: 1. How common is coagulopathy in COVID-19 infection and who is at greatest risk? (0:03) 2. What is known about the role of […]
Michael K Gibson: Impact of COVID-19 on cancer patients and treatment plans
Editorial Board member Dr Michael K Gibson, Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, joins touchONCOLOGY in a remote interview to discuss the challenges in adjusting treatment plans for oncology patients in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the advantages of telemedicine and digital health as the situation constantly changes globally, and we continue to adapt and learn […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!