Mark Lawler – ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit
touchONCOLOGY met Professor Mark Lawler (Chair, Translational Cancer Genomics Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology (CCRCB), Queen’s University Belfast) at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss the EU Cancer Mission and the work of the Lancet Oncology Cancer Groundshot.
1. What do the big-data, patient-centered (high-cost) research initiatives such as the ‘Cancer Moonshot’ programme of the US government hope to achieve, and what is their likelihood of transforming cancer care? (0:08)
2. Do these large-scale initiatives represent the best strategic approach to cancer? What are they not addressing? (1:05)
3. What is the recently proposed parallel Lancet Oncology Cancer ‘Groundshot’ initiative and how would it differ from, or complement, the US ‘Moonshot’ efforts? (1:31)
4. How will this initiative help to improve cancer care in Europe? (2:59)
5. Will the Groundshot help align other European activities, such as the EU Cancer Mission? (3:40)
Mark Lawler has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European CanCer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Helena Ullgren: PrEvCan | Focus on alcohol and cancer prevention
The European Code Against Cancer (ECAC) recommends that if you drink alcohol of any type you should limit your intake and that not drinking alcohol is best for cancer prevention. This March, the PrEvCan campaign, spearheaded by EONS to promote cancer prevention across Europe, is bringing attention to the link between alcohol consumption and cancer […]
Pompiliu Piso: ESSO Oncopolicy – cross-multidisciplinary training in oncology at the EU level (Part 2)
The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO), along with other cancer-related European societies, supported the proposal for cross-multidisciplinary training in oncology at the EU level. It was a pleasure to talk with Prof. Pompiliu Piso (Hospital Barmherzige Brueder, Regensburg, Germany) to discuss how cross-multidisciplinary training would affect cancer care in Europe and the other initiatives […]
Pompiliu Piso: ESSO’s open letter recognizing surgical oncology as a specialist discipline in the EU (Part 1)
The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO) recently released an open letter urging the European Commission to recognise surgical oncology as a specialist discipline in the EU, entitled ‘Time to act: Maximizing the benefits of surgical oncology for cancer patients in Europe‘. touchONCOLOGY were delighted to catch up with Prof. Pompiliu Piso (Hospital Barmherzige Brueder, […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!