touchONCOLOGY met Professor Mark Lawler (Chair, Translational Cancer Genomics Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology (CCRCB), Queen’s University Belfast) at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss the EU Cancer Mission and the work of the Lancet Oncology Cancer Groundshot.
1. What do the big-data, patient-centered (high-cost) research initiatives such as the ‘Cancer Moonshot’ programme of the US government hope to achieve, and what is their likelihood of transforming cancer care? (0:08)
2. Do these large-scale initiatives represent the best strategic approach to cancer? What are they not addressing? (1:05)
3. What is the recently proposed parallel Lancet Oncology Cancer ‘Groundshot’ initiative and how would it differ from, or complement, the US ‘Moonshot’ efforts? (1:31)
4. How will this initiative help to improve cancer care in Europe? (2:59)
5. Will the Groundshot help align other European activities, such as the EU Cancer Mission? (3:40)
Mark Lawler has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European CanCer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Mark Lawler, European Cancer Summit 2022: The ECO-ASCO Special Network
The impact of the Russian invasion on Ukraine and how this has impacted clinical trials and cancer care in Europe. The Special Network on the Impact of the War in Ukraine on Cancer was established by ECO Board and ASCO soon after the war started, and now has representatives of over 300 organisations. In this […]
Mark Lawler, European Cancer Summit, 2022: What is the European Cancer Pulse?
Professor Mark Lawler (Queen’s University Belfast) summarizes the European Cancer Pulse, an exciting new tool that brings together data from 34 European countries and helps determine cancer care disparities on cancer burden, research spending, prevention efforts, early detection, diagnosis and treatment access, survivorship, impact of social determinants and much more. For more information, click here. […]
Mark Lawler, European Cancer Summit 2022: The European Groundshot
The European Groundshot—addressing Europe’s cancer research challenges: a Lancet Oncology Commission is a unique imitative launched this year aims to identify the challenges in cancer care in Europe. The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on cancer diagnosis and halted many ongoing clinical trials. In this video, Professor Mark Lawler (Queen’s University Belfast) describes […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!