It was a privilege to meet Professor Blase Polite (Deputy Section Chief for Clinical Operations and Executive Medical Director for Cancer Accountable Care, University of Chicago) at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss improving quality of cancer care and ensuring better equity of access to treatment.
1. In brief, what do you consider the current difficulties and challenges in ensuring the quality of cancer care? (0:10)
2. Are there still disparities in access to treatment in many populations and what are their causes? (1:12)
3. ECCO and other organisations have published guidelines for the improvement of quality cancer care; how are these affecting unequal access to treatment? (2:15)
4. What can healthcare professionals and medical organisations do to rectify inequalities in both cancer care quality and patients’ access to optimal treatment? (3:03)
5. Given current developments and ongoing initiatives, are you optimistic about the future quality of cancer care? (4:10)
Blase Polite has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European Cancer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Raising awareness around HPV infection, cancer risk and vaccination: PrEvCan | Daniel Kelly
The PrEvCan – Cancer Prevention Across Europe – campaign, initiated by the European Oncology Nursing Society (EONS) and supported by ESMO, aims to reduce the burden of cancer by promoting a different way we can decrease cancer risk each month. This August, the PrEvCan campaign focuses on raising awareness about the connection between human papillomavirus […]
Vivek Subbiah, AACR 2023: The purpose of phase I clinical trials
The purpose of phase I clinical trials are to evaluate the safety, dosage and potential side effects of a new drug or treatment in humans for the first time. In this touchONCOLOGY interview, we speak with Dr Vivek Subbiah (University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Centre, Houston, TX, USA) to discuss the purpose and details […]
Vivek Subbiah, AACR 2023: The evolution of phase I clinical trials in the era of precision medicine
Precision medicine aims to tailor medical treatments to individual patients based on their characteristics and genetic makeup. Phase I clinical trials are seeing changes in their objectives and designs in the era of precision medicine. In this touchONCOLOGY interview, we speak with Dr Vivek Subbiah (University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Centre, Houston, TX, USA) […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!