It was a privilege to meet Professor Blase Polite (Deputy Section Chief for Clinical Operations and Executive Medical Director for Cancer Accountable Care, University of Chicago) at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss improving quality of cancer care and ensuring better equity of access to treatment.
1. In brief, what do you consider the current difficulties and challenges in ensuring the quality of cancer care? (0:10)
2. Are there still disparities in access to treatment in many populations and what are their causes? (1:12)
3. ECCO and other organisations have published guidelines for the improvement of quality cancer care; how are these affecting unequal access to treatment? (2:15)
4. What can healthcare professionals and medical organisations do to rectify inequalities in both cancer care quality and patients’ access to optimal treatment? (3:03)
5. Given current developments and ongoing initiatives, are you optimistic about the future quality of cancer care? (4:10)
Blase Polite has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European Cancer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Mark Lawler, European Cancer Summit 2022: The ECO-ASCO Special Network
The impact of the Russian invasion on Ukraine and how this has impacted clinical trials and cancer care in Europe. The Special Network on the Impact of the War in Ukraine on Cancer was established by ECO Board and ASCO soon after the war started, and now has representatives of over 300 organisations. In this […]
Mark Lawler, European Cancer Summit, 2022: What is the European Cancer Pulse?
Professor Mark Lawler (Queen’s University Belfast) summarizes the European Cancer Pulse, an exciting new tool that brings together data from 34 European countries and helps determine cancer care disparities on cancer burden, research spending, prevention efforts, early detection, diagnosis and treatment access, survivorship, impact of social determinants and much more. For more information, click here. […]
Mark Lawler, European Cancer Summit 2022: The European Groundshot
The European Groundshot—addressing Europe’s cancer research challenges: a Lancet Oncology Commission is a unique imitative launched this year aims to identify the challenges in cancer care in Europe. The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on cancer diagnosis and halted many ongoing clinical trials. In this video, Professor Mark Lawler (Queen’s University Belfast) describes […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!