Blase Polite – ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit
It was a privilege to meet Professor Blase Polite (Deputy Section Chief for Clinical Operations and Executive Medical Director for Cancer Accountable Care, University of Chicago) at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss improving quality of cancer care and ensuring better equity of access to treatment.
1. In brief, what do you consider the current difficulties and challenges in ensuring the quality of cancer care? (0:10)
2. Are there still disparities in access to treatment in many populations and what are their causes? (1:12)
3. ECCO and other organisations have published guidelines for the improvement of quality cancer care; how are these affecting unequal access to treatment? (2:15)
4. What can healthcare professionals and medical organisations do to rectify inequalities in both cancer care quality and patients’ access to optimal treatment? (3:03)
5. Given current developments and ongoing initiatives, are you optimistic about the future quality of cancer care? (4:10)
Blase Polite has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European Cancer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Helena Ullgren: PrEvCan | Focus on alcohol and cancer prevention
The European Code Against Cancer (ECAC) recommends that if you drink alcohol of any type you should limit your intake and that not drinking alcohol is best for cancer prevention. This March, the PrEvCan campaign, spearheaded by EONS to promote cancer prevention across Europe, is bringing attention to the link between alcohol consumption and cancer […]
Pompiliu Piso: ESSO Oncopolicy – cross-multidisciplinary training in oncology at the EU level (Part 2)
The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO), along with other cancer-related European societies, supported the proposal for cross-multidisciplinary training in oncology at the EU level. It was a pleasure to talk with Prof. Pompiliu Piso (Hospital Barmherzige Brueder, Regensburg, Germany) to discuss how cross-multidisciplinary training would affect cancer care in Europe and the other initiatives […]
Pompiliu Piso: ESSO’s open letter recognizing surgical oncology as a specialist discipline in the EU (Part 1)
The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO) recently released an open letter urging the European Commission to recognise surgical oncology as a specialist discipline in the EU, entitled ‘Time to act: Maximizing the benefits of surgical oncology for cancer patients in Europe‘. touchONCOLOGY were delighted to catch up with Prof. Pompiliu Piso (Hospital Barmherzige Brueder, […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!