It was a pleasure to meet Sergio Sandrucci, Professor of Surgery, University of Turin, at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss specialisation in the cancer workforce and whether it helps improve outcomes for patients and health systems.
1. What factors are driving moves towards specialisation in cancer care? (0:10)
2. Does specialisation in cancer care lead to improved quality of cancer care and better outcomes – what evidence is there to support this? (0:47)
3. Do all patients have access to the appropriate specialist care? Could remoteness of specialist treatment centres or their scarcity deter or prevent many from visiting them? (1:38)
4. Should specialist care be given throughout the disease course, or can continuing care be handed to general physicians when treatment is initiated? (2:12)
5. Is the movement toward specialist care at centralised treatment centres likely to continue in future and what benefits or disadvantages will this bring to patients? (2:35)
Sergio Sandrucci has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European CanCer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Luzia Travado, European Cancer Summit 2021: Quality of Life and Emotional Challenges for Cancer Patients and the Role of a Psycho-oncologist
We were delighted to catch up with Dr Luzia Travado (Champalimaud Foundation, Lisbon, Portugal) to discuss the the emotional challenges for patients following a cancer diagnosis, and the role of a psycho-oncologist. Question Could you give us an overview of the emotional challenges for patients following a cancer diagnosis, and the role of a psycho-oncologist? […]
Luzia Travado, European Cancer Summit 2021: How Can Oncology Healthcare Professionals Best Address the Psycho-oncological Care Needs for Cancer Patients?
We were delighted to catch up with Dr Luzia Travado (Champalimaud Foundation, Lisbon, Portugal) to discuss how healthcare professionals can best address the psycho-oncological care needs for cancer patients. Question How can healthcare professionals can best address the psycho-oncological care needs for cancer patients? Speaker Disclosure: Luzia Travado has no financial or non-financial conflicts of […]
PART THREE: Domenico D’Ugo, European Cancer Summit 2021: Harnessing the Power of Data in Cancer Care: Data Sharing and Artificial Intelligence
PART THREE: We were delighted to catch up with Prof Domenico D’Ugo, President of the European Society of Surgical Oncology, to discuss how data sharing and artificial intelligence has facilitated innovations in cancer care. Question How has the use of artificial intelligence facilitated innovations in cancer care? (01:13-04:50) Speaker Disclosure: Domenico D’Ugo has no financial […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!