It was a privilege to meet Yolande Lievens, Past President, European SocieTy for Radiotherapy and Oncology (ESTRO), at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels to discuss value-based healthcare and how this can be applied in surgical oncology and radiation oncology.
1. What are the principles of value-based healthcare? Is it simply about containing costs for the healthcare provider or strategically targeting resources for optimum benefit? (0:10)
2. What benefits does a value-based healthcare approach specifically bring to cancer care for individual patients? (1:08)
3. Are there any value-based frameworks available for oncology? (1:38)
4. ECCO recently published an article on the use of value-based healthcare as applied in surgical oncology and radiation oncology – what key recommendations does this make? (2:17)
5. How might a greater use of value-based healthcare, as recommended by ECCO, improve standards and delivery of cancer care to patients in the future? (5:11)
Yolande Lievens has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European Cancer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Kim Benstead, European Cancer Summit, 2022: Technical advances in cancer training in Europe
Dr Kim Benstead (Gloucestershire NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK) discusses the most recent improvements in cancer training in Europe, including the major shift online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the importance of creating simulations and more interactive training. Questions What have been the most important technological advances in cancer training in Europe? (00:26-01:24) How […]
Kim Benstead, European Cancer Summit, 2022: The INTERACT-EUROPE training programme
Dr Kim Benstead (Gloucestershire NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK) discusses the most recent developments to the European Beating Cancer Plan, including the importance of multidisciplinary in cancer workforces, and the need for quality training schemes. As Chair of INTERACT-EUROPE, she shares her hopes for the new, two-phase training programme to optimise cancer care not only […]
Ajay Aggarwal, European Cancer Summit 2022: Ensuring a better future for young cancer professionals
Dr Ajay Aggarwal (Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Trust, London, UK) discusses the need to further develop our future cancer workforce and provide young professionals with enough resources for research but also a strong understanding of what it is to deliver quality cancer care. He also expresses four needs for improvement in current health systems; […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!