Ruth Ladenstein – ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit
At the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, it was a privilege to speak to Ruth Ladenstein, Project Coordinator, European Reference Network (ERN) for paediatric cancer (ERN PaedCan), to discuss the EU Cancer Mission and enabling cancer treatment across borders.
1. The European Commission has outlined a mission-oriented approach for the next Framework Programme for Research which will involve cancer as a topic. What is the purpose and scope of this mission? (0:10)
2. Is cancer care access and quality similar and continuous across European countries or is it variable with differing provision and standards depending on location? What are the causes of the differences? (1:43)
3. Is there a need to establish a quality standard of cancer care across European borders and is this becoming a reality? (3:20)
4. To what extent can healthcare professionals in different European states learn from practices elsewhere and adopt them for their own patients? (3:58)
5. In the future, is best practice in cancer likely to be increasingly uniform across Europe or is it likely to be unequal and dependent on healthcare funding or the patient’s ability to pay? (4:56)
Ruth Ladenstein has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed in partnership with the European CanCer Organisation at the ECCO 2019 European Cancer Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Policy
Helena Ullgren: PrEvCan | Focus on alcohol and cancer prevention
The European Code Against Cancer (ECAC) recommends that if you drink alcohol of any type you should limit your intake and that not drinking alcohol is best for cancer prevention. This March, the PrEvCan campaign, spearheaded by EONS to promote cancer prevention across Europe, is bringing attention to the link between alcohol consumption and cancer […]
Pompiliu Piso: ESSO Oncopolicy – cross-multidisciplinary training in oncology at the EU level (Part 2)
The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO), along with other cancer-related European societies, supported the proposal for cross-multidisciplinary training in oncology at the EU level. It was a pleasure to talk with Prof. Pompiliu Piso (Hospital Barmherzige Brueder, Regensburg, Germany) to discuss how cross-multidisciplinary training would affect cancer care in Europe and the other initiatives […]
Pompiliu Piso: ESSO’s open letter recognizing surgical oncology as a specialist discipline in the EU (Part 1)
The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO) recently released an open letter urging the European Commission to recognise surgical oncology as a specialist discipline in the EU, entitled ‘Time to act: Maximizing the benefits of surgical oncology for cancer patients in Europe‘. touchONCOLOGY were delighted to catch up with Prof. Pompiliu Piso (Hospital Barmherzige Brueder, […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!