Editorial Board member Dr Michael K Gibson, Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, joins touchONCOLOGY in a remote interview to discuss the challenges in adjusting treatment plans for oncology patients in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the advantages of telemedicine and digital health as the situation constantly changes globally, and we continue to adapt and learn more each day.
1. What is the current COVID-19 outbreak situation in USA and what measures have the government taken to control and manage the spread of the virus? (0:08)
2. How does chemotherapy and radiotherapy effect patients’ susceptibility to COVID-19? (1:15)
3. How is the COVID-19 outbreak affecting consultations between patients and oncologists? (3:23)
4. What extra precautions should cancer patients take and what advice would you give to family members and caregivers of cancer patients? (4:45)
5. How does infection with COVID-19 affect the treatment plan for patients? (6:25)
6. What have we learnt from this experience so far? (8:12)
Michael K Gibson has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Commissioned, edited and funded by Touch Medical Media
Published: 24 April 2020
Share this Video
Related Videos In COVID-19
Florence Joly, ESMO 2020 – Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Cancer Treatments and the Psychological Impact on Patients
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a direct impact on cancer care. Prof. Florence Joly discusses the challenges and lessons learned when treating patients with cancer during the pandemic and lockdown period. The late-breaking abstract ‘Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on management of medical cancer treatments and psychological consequence for the patients’ (LBA69) was presented at […]
Trisha M Wise-Draper, ESMO 2020 – The COVID-19 and Cancer Consortium Registry (CCC19) and Systemic Cancer Treatment-related Outcomes in Patients with SARS-CoV-2 Infection
Assoc. Prof. Trisha Wise-Draper joins touchONCOLOGY to discuss the impact of the COVID-19 in cancer care and lessons learned through the findings of the COVID-19 and Cancer Consortium Registry (CCC19). The late-breaking abstract ‘Systemic cancer treatment-related outcomes in patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection: A CCC19 registry analysis’ (LBA71) was presented at the Virtual 2020 ESMO Congress, […]
Deborah Doroshow, ESMO 2020 – COVID-19 and Cancer Outcomes Study (CCOS): Disparities in Cancer during the COVID-19 Pandemic
touchONCOLOGY joins Dr Deborah Doroshow to discuss the recent COVID-19 and Cancer Outcomes Study (CCOS), and how the COVID-19 pandemic has caused disparities in cancer care. Dr Doroshow presented her late-breaking abstract, ‘Disparities in cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic: COVID-19 and cancer outcomes study (CCOS)‘ (LBA74) at the Virtual 2020 ESMO Congress, 19–21 September 2020. […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchONCOLOGYSign me up!